Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Manhattan Projects #4 - Review


The wonderful thing about Jonathan Hickman’s The Manhattan Projects is that I never know what I’m going to get when an issue comes out. Just when I thought that I had a grasp on the twists and turns that this series is filled with, Hickman and Nick Pitarra throw another curve ball.

This issue is filled with aliens, inter-dimensional gateways, and a new development in the realm of Einstein that raises the stakes even further than before. The pages and panels move so seamlessly that I found myself at the end of the issue before I knew it. The dialog and imagery is enough to make even a new reader want more.

Pitarra has a very definitive style. At first glance it seems very similar to Frank Quietly’s work on All-Star Superman, but as extraterrestrials are added to the mix, the originality shines through. The creatures in this issue are striking and compliment the human characters in a very retro way.

There are few comics that can deliver surprises in every single issue. Hickman and Pitarra are building toward something huge in the future with this title at Image, and issue four is another thrilling installment.

RATING: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment