Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Flash #10



Barry Allen AKA The Flash has his hands full with the Weather Wizard as he terrorizes a small village with a devastating flood. Meanwhile Allen’s flame, Patty Spivot, is being held captive with another man in a cartel’s basement. As her execution draws near, Flash will have to put a cap on the Weather Wizard and solve a murder mystery that’s gotten everyone into this jam in the first place.

I’ve tracked back through the premise of each issue before this, and I think I’m missing something big. I wasn’t able to follow the whole first storyline from 1-5, so I may have missed the murder that this is based on. It does show the murder in the beginning of this issue, but then jumps right into a fight against the Weather Wizard without any big introduction. I also don’t really see how we get to this point, or how the story is setup in terms of the past issue. The dialog tries to make up for it, and I do get what’s happening, I just wish we would get to see it unfold for ourselves.

What I loved about The Flash #6 was the introduction of the new Captain Cold to the New 52. In this issue the Weather Wizard’s debut is a little flat and feels like it could have been a bit more fleshed out. It is cool to know that he has to evoke different emotions in order to produce weather events, like depression in order to create rain, but we don’t see much of it in this issue.

The characters still ring true, and the art by Marcus To is pretty solid despite it not being by Francis Manapul, but this issue is just a little less magical than the others. It’s not a reason to pull out of the series, but it is an issue that doesn’t live up to the scarlet legend in the previous installments.

RATING: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment