Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Top 5 Comics - 4/25/12

THIS WEEK'S CHART TOPPERS

I've decided to start listing and ranking the comics that I read every week to let everyone know what I enjoyed on the whole. I'll still do full reviews of individual books, but this will let people know what else I'm reading and give you a chance to respond and say which you enjoyed more.

Without any further delay, lets get to the top five in descending order:

5. Justice League Dark #8


I already did a full review of this issue, and if it wasn't such a slow week in terms of my pull list it probably wouldn't have even made it to this spot, but again, this is the little comic book that COULD be incredible. Hopefully when Lemire jumps on it will change direction. No offense to Milligan, I love his run on Hellblazer.

RATING: 2.5/5

4. The New Deadwardians #2


I've been talking all over the internet about how much I'm sick of vampire and zombie books, yet this one still got my attention. This issue was a really great detective story and makes me excited to see what interesting way a vampire could be killed that doesn't include the usual classic methods.

RATING: 3.5/5

3. Daredevil #11


Marvel doesn't usually blow me away with their books, but lately I've been finding more and more titles I can get excited about. Since its launch, the new Mark Waid run on this character has been fantastic. It's classic and inventive all at the same time. There's some wonderful moments between Daredevil, The Punisher, and Spider-Man in this issue, and the art by Marco Checchetto really blew me away. I wasn't familiar with him before, but I might have found my new favorite artistic take on Spider-Man.

RATING: 4/5

2. The Flash #8


If I had to explain to someone what superhero comic books are by handing them one title, it'd be this one. Not only is the artwork in this series phenomenal (I really mean it folks), but Francis Manapul is taking Barry Allen's powers in a new direction and expanding on their origins. It's something that's happened in a few of the New 52 titles, and each one seems to have knocked it out of the park. The Flash is just unhinged fun and adventure.

RATING: 4/5

1. American Vampire #26


Honestly, it was neck and neck between this issue and The Flash this week, but I have to give it to American Vampire for its cliffhanger and story development. You can read my full review on the blog, but I'll just go ahead and say that this team from Vertigo is a surefire win. I'm proud to say that I can thank one comic book for making me believe in vampires again. Not since reading the original Bram Stoker's Dracula have I been so interested in this type of story.

RATING: 4/5

So that's my first Top 5 Comics post. Let me know how you like it with a comment, question, or concern. And for being a guy who hates on vampires and zombies quite a bit, this week was full of them in terms of my pull list.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, New Deadwardians is the best of the new Vertigo titles, I enjoyed it so much that I decided to review the first issue. If you want to check it out here's my blog:

    www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete