Thursday, March 8, 2012

Animal Man #7 - Review

ANIMAL WOMAN?!


The Rot is terrorizing the countryside as it moves in the form of dead animals and decayed flesh. The Baker family tries desperately to get in contact with other superheroes in order to warn them of the oncoming threat and get some assistance in fighting them off. As Buddy and Cliff try to spend more time together, Maxine's outlook only seems to terrify and outrage her Grandmother. However, a vision of the future soon shakes Buddy to the core as he sees his adult daughter teaming up with two very strange allies.

I nearly had to get up and run around the block screaming, "oh my God, this is the best thing ever," after reading this issue. Jeff Lemire gave us so many wonderful character moments and images that I can't even begin to express the joy that its brought readers, myself included. The moment when Cliff is being teased by the girl's is probably my favorite. The way Buddy swoops in to help him out isn't just a wonderfully written page, but a very expressive and beautiful piece of work.

I've heard some people complain about having two artists on this book, but Foreman and Pugh meshed well together and the book kept its overall feel and tone the entire way through. It's also a nice way to ease into Pugh taking over as the artist for the series. One of my favorite sequences was the future version of Maxine, or Animal Woman, when she's teamed up with --

*SPOILER ALERT!*

-- Swamp Thing and an old John Constantine. That made my day. I had always held Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Hellblazer in the same realm of high regard. It's good to see the three characters join up and fit so perfectly together.

From what I've heard all of these characters might be meeting up with the Justice League Dark team sometime in the near future. If that's the case you can sign me up. Not only is Lemire crafting a bold new dark corner of the DC Universe, he's giving it a whole arena to play in. That's what makes this issue one of the best I've read in recent months. It gets a 5/5 without a moment of hesitation. I hope you all feel the same way about it when you read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment