Friday, February 10, 2012

The Unwritten #34 - Review

IS TAYLOR'S STORY ENDING SOON?


Tom Taylor has been captured by the Cabal and has had his powers stripped from him by the Grid. As he sits, gun in his face, he gets an ultimatum -- join the Cabal or take a bullet to the head. But Taylor has questions of his own he wants answered. Just because he's been stripped of his magic doesn't mean that he's completely helpless. Meanwhile, Pullman has his own ideas about what should be done next about the Taylor problem.

Mike Carey and Peter Gross delivered another incredible issue of The Unwritten this month and I can't wait to see what happens next. This issue ends on a cliffhanger I've been waiting for since I started reading the series, and it feels so good to know that the ultimate battle is on it's way. But is it the ultimate battle? The book right now seems to be telling us that it's going to end soon. All of the stars have aligned for a great ending, but there's a good chance it could continue.

I personally would be fine with the story ending with this arc. It feels like the natural ending point. I won't complain if I do get more issues of The Unwritten, but I'd be happy knowing it went out with a bang and not a whimper. I've really enjoyed Taylor's storyline, the mechanics of how stories work in this universe, and all the great literary references and side stories thrown in for good measure. If this is the end I'm ready for it to blow me away.

This issue gets a 4.5/5 for continuing one of the best ongoing and original series from Vertigo or any other publisher. Now if we could only get a crossover between The Unwritten and Fables.

No comments:

Post a Comment