Wednesday, February 22, 2012

American Vampire #24 - Review

ROCKABILLY RAMPAGE!


Travis Kidd and Skinner Sweet are in the race of their lives in Death Race, Part 3! As Kidd fights desperately to kill Sweet before the sun comes up, he flashes back to his time in the mental institution where he was "treated" for his delusions of his family being killed. He swore revenge on Sweet the moment his family was taken from him, and now he might just get the chance he's been waiting for.

Wow.

This issue was incredibly fun. I actually felt my heart racing a little as I read panel to panel during the fight scenes and drag race. Kidd has been a very interesting character to follow and really compliments the tone and mood that Sweet brings to the series. You kind of root for Kidd to kill Sweet, but we all know how that usually ends up for people in the American Vampire universe.

Scott Snyder's writing and Rafael Albuquerque's art were both firing with all eight cylinders this issue. We live in a pop culture world where the genre of vampires is filled with teen hunks and sappy romance stories. It's a breath of fresh air to see the creatures of the night put back into the horror and monster realm that they belong in.

This was definitely the best comic book issue released this week. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one who feels that way. It gets a solid 5/5 from yours truly. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go grease up my hair and throw on my leather jacket.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott Snyder has been writing great books lately, I'm especially enjoying Severed from Image.

    ReplyDelete