Monday, November 28, 2011

Batman #3 - Review

BEWARE THE COURT OF OWLS


The past holiday kept me really busy, so I wasn't able to get to my comics from last week until today. That being said, I don't know if I can read anything else. This new issue of Batman is so good that it's going to be hard to find anything to compare it to from the past week of comics. As the story continues with Bruce Wayne investigating the attempt on his life and the strange rumors about The Court of Owls in Gotham City, clues about the architecture Alan Wayne built back in the 1920's reveals that the old legend might have some truth to it. As Wayne digs deeper into Gotham's past, The Talon digs deeper into his back. After all, they're watching you in your home and in your bed.

Scott Snyder is writing what might turn out to be one of my favorite Batman stories. Each panel and page gave me the kind of rush I felt when I first saw Batman Begins on the big screen. As we watch Wayne come to terms with the fact that he isn't as familiar with Gotham as he thinks he is, we also get to see a new group of very creepy villains rise in the DC Universe. Paired with Greg Capullo's art it can't lose. Capullo draws Batman in a way that mixes detail and classic cartooning with the added flair of realism that the game Arkham Asylum adds to the Bat-Verse.

This comic gets a full 5/5 for being a stepping stone into a larger world for The Dark Knight and for DC Comics as a publisher. If Snyder and Capullo keep making them, I'll keep buying them.

I'd also like to add that this cover might be one of my favorite ones of the year. I'd love it if DC turned it into a poster for Christmas. I promise I've been extra good this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment