Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 - Review

Ultimate Spider-Man #1

MILES’ LUCKY NUMBER


Brian Michael Bendis kicks off Ultimate Spider-Man #1 with the return of Norman Osborn to his lab, where he explains to a new scientist that he created Spider-Man accidentally and that he wants to learn how to re-create the process. Through a series of strange events involving the number forty-two, which some of us know as the answer to life, the universe, and everything, Miles Morales comes into contact with one of the test spiders and things start to get complicated for the lonely teen.

Just like the original Ultimate Spider-Man, this one is a slow burn. It takes the time to introduce the characters, explain where Osborn has been, and give Miles the bite that will change his life forever. There’s no fighting, no costumes, and no heroics. In fact, I’d be willing to bet we won’t get any actual Spider-Man stuff out of Miles for another seven months like the original. Not that it’s a bad thing, but I don’t think that Bendis needs to drag it out again. That’s just me speculating on how the series is going to unfold, but don’t get me wrong, I’m on board so far.

One big difference between Miles and Peter Parker is that Miles has the ability to turn invisible. This is a huge spoiler, as it’s one of the last things to happen in the book. I had figured that Miles might acquire different spider powers based on his genetics, and I guess my love of science fiction was true to my instincts. I’m interested to see what other different variations on spider-abilities that Miles will develop.

The characters so far seem well fleshed out, and I”m glad that Norman Osborn has survived to be the next Spider-Man’s foe. The writing was pretty solid, except for a typo where “so” was written next to each other twice. I’ll have to go back and re-read it, but I’m pretty sure it was a typo. Sometimes that just happens, and you can’t completely fault the publisher. If anything it might make this first printing more valuable.

The artwork was very good. Sara Pichelli delivered a well paced and beautifully executed first issue. I can’t wait to see how she handles the costume when it comes into play. Although it doesn’t appear in the issue, it is on the cover, and I have to say that I’m a fan of it. I like the black, red, and white design with very little extra lines or complicated structuring. It’s sleek and cool for a Spider-Man of the new age.

On the whole I’d give this book a 4. It’s a good start, but I’m just worried that it’s going to take forever to get into the story like last time. The writing and the artwork are keeping me interested and I like Miles as a character so far. They might just be able to make another character that people can relate to on unmeasurable levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment