Thursday, September 1, 2011

Ultimate Comics: Hawkeye #1 - Review

CLINT VS. THE WORLD


Writer Jonathan Hickman tackles the Ultimate Marvel Comics version of Clint Barton AKA Hawkeye as he works for S.H.I.E.L.D. and tries to thwart an invasion of super-powered soldiers turned into artificial mutants in Bangkok. A pair of scientists have developed a virus that kills the X gene that creates mutants and unleashed it on the world. Apparently the entire world has been infected and now the chances of mutants being born have been dramatically lowered. They've also reverse engineered it to turn regular people of their choosing into artificial mutants with super powers. The only person on the scene is Nick Fury's top agent, Hawkeye, and he has no intentions of letting these artificial terrors do anymore damage.

The art on this book was done by Rafa Sandoval and was pretty good. It was well paced, crisp and clean, and at no point did it look hack or rushed. That being said it wasn't anything spectacular either. In fact I'm not a big fan of the cover. Though that can be said for any of the Ultimate Comics covers in my opinion. I think that all of them just look kind of bland and dopey. I think that they could do much better than they have been in terms of cover work and layout. But hey, if that's what Marvel likes then that's what Marvel will put out.

On the whole I enjoyed the issue and I really like how it ties in directly with The Ultimates #1. It picks up right where the issue left Clint previously and gives the reader the broad scope feeling of the Ultimates universe. I really hope that more books are released that expand upon what's going on in The Ultimates and how the universe is under siege from so many different threats at the moment. With a gun to my head I'd recommend this book, but only if you're interested in comics that have Marvel characters but none of the long running plot lines or continuity. In the meantime I'll be following this four issue series to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment