Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Red Hood and The Outlaws #1 - Review

IT'S NOT FOR ME -- AND I LOVE THE RED HOOD!


When it was annoucned that there was going to be a new ongoing series starring The Red Hood in DC's New 52 I was really hopeful that I was going to like it. I had enjoyed Grant Morrison's take on Jason Todd in his Batman and Robin run and I wanted to see more of the character in the DC Universe.

I guess I should have been careful about what I asked for.

I'm sure that some people are going to love Scott Lobdell's Red Hood and The Outlaws, but I for one didn't like it. I didn't like the way Jason Todd acted, I didn't like the portrayal of Arsenal/Roy Harper, and I certainly didn't like the over-sexed and useless Starfire. If anything it was another example of how women are degraded in comics and how cool second tier characters stay in the second tier.

The premise of the issue is pretty simple. There's a rescue mission in the beginning, which I was on board with until they got to the beach resort. And I didn't hate the whole thing. I really enjoyed the costume design of The Red Hood, which was a mix between a motorcycle Batman and a supervillain. The other two character's designs I thought were below average. I don't know when comic book artists are going to stop drawing heroines with little or no clothing, but I want it to happen soon. I know it's a fictional universe, but I don't think any girl would go out to battle in a string bikini and no protective gear.

The story felt more like the first chapter of a book, where there were things already happening that we don't know about as readers, and the ending was left with a hook to pick up in the next issue. This is fine, but I feel like we didn't get much time to get to know the characters. Although when Starfire flat out asks Harper if he wants to have sex I nearly laughed so hard that I dropped the comic.

This book is for someone who just wants sex, action, and an excuse to have a Batman with guns. It's not for me, but it might be for other people. I give it a solid 2, because I just can't get on board with it.

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you pretty much described an Image book circa the 90's.

    ReplyDelete