Thursday, September 29, 2011

Green Lantern: The New Guardians #1 - Review

GREAT CONCEPT BUT A LITTLE LACKING TO START


The newest series featuring the DC Universe's greatest cosmic adventurers has arrived. Green Lantern: The New Guardians is a series that will star Kyle Rayner, the graphic artist who became a Green Lantern after Hal Jordan went rogue. If you never saw Rayner's origin story you can experience it here in the first few pages of this issue. There's also something strange happening to the emotional spectrum of rings, and it's something that is costing various Lanterns their lives. The only question now is -- why do they all want Rayner?!

Written by Tony Bedard, this issue was, and it's hard for me to admit this, a little flat. I love Green Lantern stories featuring Rayner, but this just felt like more of a point-one issue. What I mean by that is that it's all setup and no story. The cover, which is really attractive, led me to believe it was going to be more of an actual introduction. The title logo looks really good, and I like the imagery of all the top Lanterns vying for the rings on the white background. But all we really experience in this issue is some humor and a big setup for something more to come.

The artwork by Tyler Kirkham was pretty solid. I really enjoyed the page where Rayner creates a group of giant construction workers to catch a falling crane. But there were a few times when the art look rushed, especially in some close up shots of Rayner on the street with civilians.

Am I going to stick with this title? Probably. I'm a huge Green Lantern fan, and any book within that story is going to get me intrigued. I do hope that it gets better, but for now it's on probation. I think if we had less setup and more story it would be a different case, but for now I have to give this book a 3/5. It's worth reading for Lantern fans, but worth skipping if you don't really have an interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment