Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Green Lantern Corps #1 - Review

GARDNER AND STEWART HIT THE JOB MARKET!


For some strange reason I haven't gotten my new first issue of Green Lantern in the mail but I did get Green Lantern Corps. I don't know if my subscription is over or if it's just taking it's sweet time to get here, but I'm just glad at least one GL comic showed up this week. In this new issue written by Peter J. Tomasi and drawn by Fernando Pasarin, Guy Gardner and John Stewart have returned to Earth to try and find steady and normal work to fill the extra time in their lives. Gardner tries to get a job as a high school football coach and Stewart returns to his trade as an architect. You'd think that being someone who had saved the world multiple times and having a public identity would give them any job they wanted. Not the case. No one is willing to hire them because the risk is to great or because they feel like they should be worry about bad guys instead of holding down a job.

This was a pretty fun issue. I love that Tomasi is keeping up with the very real situation of them being away from Earth all the time. Green Lantern Corps has always been a really fun book because it has to do with big space battles and mysteries. To remind the two current characters why it's so fun out there and to share it with the readers really brings us closer to Gardner and Stewart at Lanterns and beloved characters.

There was quite a bit of bloodshed in this issue. I won't go into the details because I don't want to ruin the ending, but it has a surprisingly high body count for the premise of the book.

The artwork in this issue was pretty standard. It felt like a Green Lantern story and had that modern edge that many of the Lantern books of recent years have had. I can't say that it was outstanding, but it was good.

If anyone is thinking about whether they should continue with this title or if they should pick it up for the first time this is a perfect time to jump in. I give this issue a 4/5. It's not the best, but it's still pretty damn good. I am a big Gardner fan, so that probably helped the decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment