Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Mighty Thor #4 - Review

THE THUNDER GOD TAKES ON THE GALACTUS & HIS HERALD


Thor has gone to battle in space against The Silver Surfer and Galactus, who is trying to eat the Seed of the 9 Realms. Odin and his warriors stand tall, but it's going to take more than regular combat to best two beings of such power. As the two of them face off using their influences in the natural and unnatural worlds, Thor and The Silver Surfer enter a slug fest over the fate of Asgard. But young Loki has other plans on winning the battle against Galactus, and has made a trade of Sif's hair for three ominous gifts.

Written by Matt Fraction and drawn by Olivier Coipel, this was the very first issue of The Might Thor that I had ever read. In fact, I had never read ANY Thor up to this point. He had been a character that I had no interest in until the trailer for The Avengers and the new animated series done by Christopher Yost. I figured I should familiarize myself with the Thunderer and get to know his background. After buying this issue I can confirm that I'll be looking into him more. Fraction writes a very fun adventure that clashes the cosmic with the Norse Gods. And Coipel's depiction of the two different worlds meeting is a wonderful tribute to Norse and Science Fiction culture alike. I especially liked that all of The Silver Surfer's dialogue had the signature Jack Kirby crackle of dots all around the word balloons. It's little touches like those that can make something great turn into something wonderful.

This series was recommended to me by a friend and I'm glad he said something about it. I've been looking for more Marvel characters to sink my teeth into, and I think I just found another. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment