Friday, July 1, 2011

Astonishing X-Men: Gifted (Motion Comic) - Review

They Call it a "Cure" . . .


The X-Men are restructuring and trying to change their public image after having defeated the Legacy virus, which threatened to destroy Mutantkind. Cyclops has started a relationship with telepath Emma Frost, Wolverine is against shooting for a "superhero" publicity stunt, and Kitty Pryde is struggling with being back on the team. All the while a stranger from Breakworld has arrived with technology that can cure human beings of mutation, causing riots and panicking amongst humans and mutants alike.

Based on the Astonishing X-Men run and written again as a motion comic by Joss Whedon, this motion comic animates the story arc of "Gifted" and enters the fray of digitizing and bringing comics to life on screen in the most literal of translations. I had seen the first episode a long while back, and after seeing the Invincible motion comic and falling in love with it, I decided to give this one another shot.

There are times when I enjoy motion comics and other times that I don't. While the writing was pretty solid in this short series (6 episodes), the animation was sometimes strange and forced. Other times they just used a panel from the book and didn't animate it at all. The moving mouths and walking are what really made me feel strange. Everyone looks like a rag doll or a ventriloquist dummy. Though I do admit that it kept my attention the entire time and that I watched it straight through.

Most people are against motion comics, but I think it might just be different styles that people enjoy. While this X-Men series wasn't the best I've seen, it wasn't the worst either. The voice acting was very good, and I felt like it would have done well fully animated if given the shot. I still enjoyed Kirkman's motion comic a bit better, only because it didn't try to make the characters move. I think that many of the motion comics do this and people expect the animation to be top notch. At least, that's what I've seen in some iTunes reviews.

I'm going to be giving all of Marvel's motion comics a shot, but as for this one I'd give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. I'm going to just start rating this like this in order to give people a good indicator of how I feel about it. It's worth watching if you're a big X-Men fan, but worth skipping if you're looking for better animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment