Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Adventure Time: Season One - Review

Mathematical!


Adventure Time follows the outrageous adventures of Finn, a 12-year-old boy, and Jake, a 28-year-old magic dog, as they fight monsters, save princesses, and hang out for reals in the land of Ooo. The two are quick to answer any cry for help and wail on anything that's even remotely evil. There's action, danger, and more adventure than you can shake a billion swords at.

As a young man who grew up with the insane shows that Nickelodeon aired during the nineties, I felt like modern kids shows were being too safe and were uninteresting to older people who loved good old fashioned animated entertainment. That's when I found Adventure Time. Much like the cartoons of my day that pushed the envelope, shows like Rocko's Modern Life or Ren and Stimpy, Adventure Time goes for the younger audience through it's appearance, but the older audience through it's jokes and sense of humor. The comedic timing and one liners from the show are on from start to finish, and the voice actors hit their mark with the characters they play so much that it's almost scary.


The episodes vary in terms of structure, and that's something that really helps the show instead of hurting it. You never know what you're going to get, and it only adds to the craziness that they can amp up in an episode. One of my favorites was an episode where Finn and Jake are throwing bottles of magical potions at a wall for fun and end up hitting Princess Bubblegum (Jake's love interest) in the head with a balding potion. Jake's line: "Check this one out! It looks STUPID!" made me laugh till I cried. The way he delivered it with such commitment and excitement is just the way a kid would act.


The wonderful thing about the show is that even though it doesn't really have any morals at the end, and often jokes about it, the underlying theme is that kids should aspire to help people and do the right thing at the drop of a hat because it's cool to do so. Instead of using an adult figure to drill it into kid's brains, Finn and Jake do it by showing how fun and righteous it can be.

If you're a fan of the classic Nickelodeon cartoons of the 90's, or the shows from Adult Swim's Golden Age (Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, etc.) then this is the show for you. It's something that I enjoy on many levels, and it's something that I'd also love for my kids to watch someday. That is, if I ever have kids.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your site and this article is excellent!!!! I believe I have a fellow blogger friendship in you!! When you have time, please check out my site. I'm trying to go a direction that's similar to that of Drudge Report...almost like a news aggregation site only cartoon news and review aggregation site.

    ReplyDelete