Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Unwritten - Volume One: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity - Review

Harry Potter has nothing on This




Written by Mike Carey and drawn by Peter Gross, The Unwritten tells the story of Tom "Tommy" Taylor, whose father wrote a series of popular children's books about a young wizard of the same name and his quest to fight evil. After Tom's father disappears, he becomes the go-to guy over the Tommy Taylor franchise, going to conventions and answering fandom at every turn. When a young woman questions his actual relation and identity in front of a crowd, Tom Taylor starts to find clues that lead to a truth that's more shocking than any of his father's stories: He's actually the character from the books!

I'm starting to think that Vertigo is going to be the publisher I find myself reading more and more of. Their titles have never disapointed me when it comes to original storytelling and inventive work in the comics medium. The Unwritten is approaching its 23rd chapter this month, and I intend to get caught up as fast as possible. The writing is superb, and considering I'm not big on the whole Harry Potter craze, it puts the genre in a whole new light. A very bloody and violent light. Not that violence sells the book. Far from it. It's the execution and sync of Carey's writing and Gross' artwork that really makes this book work for me.

I recommend this without reservation. Where else could you see an epic of literary proportions play out with the likes of Mark Twain and Richard Kipling included in the tale? Nowhere else.

I'd love to say more about this, but there's nothing else really to say. It's fabulous. I only hope that I can find more work by this pair and see if it's as good as The Unwritten is turning out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment