Thursday, March 10, 2011

Irredeemable: Vol. 1 - Review (ECCC Review Series)

Mark Waid's Cryptic New Take on Supermen




In Irredeemable, a comic book series written by Mark Waid and drawn by Peter Krause, the ultra-powerful superhero known only as The Plutonian has snapped and gone on a murderous rampage, destroying his hometown and hunting down the former members of his superhuman team. No one knows what the extent of his powers are, where he comes from, or what has made him snap, but everyone does know that he's now the most powerful and pissed off thing on the planet. The book even opens up with him murdering the entire family of a former teammate, leaving the last survivor with a spine-tingling line of dialogue. The former members of his team are banding together to try and find a way to stop him before the planet is destroyed, but as the series progresses, the chances look slimmer and slimmer.

This series is published by Boom Studios, which is where Mark Waid currently works on many titles. I picked this up after meeting Mark Waid, which makes me really sad that I forgot to have him sign it. I'm going to make a bold statement about this book, and anyone is welcome to challenge me to it: I think this is the next Watchmen. The subject matter is similar, but Waid is taking things to new heights as far as sheer destructive force and paranoia. Just how dangerous would it be if Superman felt like he wasn't appreciated anymore? VERY DANGEROUS.

The artwork is standard by today's means, but the visuals of what's going on in the story is what's most powerful about the book. Images that shock and chill while thinking about the deeds that The Plutonian can perform for his own selfish and destructive motives.

I'm not sure how far this series goes up to, I know that there are many volumes, but I plan on getting them all eventually.

There's also a companion series called Incorruptible , which is about a former supervillain turned hero after witnessing The Plutonian's mental breakdown and destruction. I picked up the first volume of that as well, but I'm waiting for it to be shipped back to me from Seattle.

I had never really paid any attention to Boom Studios in the past, but now I'm excited to see what some of their newer takes on the superhero genre will be. They have a slew of newer characters and I'm glad to see that it's not too late to create a superhero and a mythos around them if you have the gumption to do so. Hopefully I can find someone who carries their books monthly, if not, I'll have to settle for collections.

I'd recommend Irredeemable to anyone who is a big Watchmen fan, because it has the similar "what if" motif that Watchmen carried. The big difference is that this book isn't afraid to let the backdrop be the fantastical sort of world that DC or Marvel has built up over the years, as opposed to Alan Moore's more realistic world for his graphic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment