Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ghostbusters: Displaced Aggression #1 - Review

Who You Gonna Call? How about Doc Brown?




Written by Scott Lobdell and drawn by Ilias Kyriazis, Ghostbusters: Displaced Aggression picks up after the boys in grey have defeated the evil pan-dimensional lord Kozar'Rai -- the father of Gozer. Upon his defeat, Kozar'Rai banished the four Ghostbusters to the edges of time, stranding each one alone in order to prevent them from escaping. Peter Venkman is sent to 1886, where he starts making a living as an Old West Ghostbuster. He finds himself being rescued by a young Buster from the future named Rachel Unglighter, who has spent years modifying their equipment to track their trail through time. After escaping the West, she and Venkman head off into the time stream in a modified Ecto-1 that takes on the characteristics of the DeLorean from Back to the Future.

Rachel swoops in to get Venkman's Back

I saw this issue sitting on the stand at Lang's Sports Connection and Comics in Muskegon and I had to pick it up. Why? Well, for starters, it was only a dollar. IDW Publishing is re-releasing famous first issues for only a dollar for comic book lovers to get interested in their titles. The second reason is that I LOVE GHOSTBUSTERS! Love it! It's one of my favorite movies of all time. So when I found out that IDW was doing Ghostbuster titles, I wanted to see what it was all about.

The level of maturity is a mix between the movies and the Real Ghostbusters cartoon. The types of baddies and situations that the characters find themselves in fit more with a Saturday morning tone, but the graphic nature and humor are definitely geared toward the movies. So I'd say this would be a PG-13 version of the characters.

For a concept issue with time travel, it's actually well written and pretty fun. I can't speak for the whole series right now, but when I'm finished reading it I'll make sure to give an overall view on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment