Monday, March 14, 2011

Demo #1 - Review

Teen Angst with a Twist


Published by Vertigo and written by Brian Wood Demo is a series about teenagers discovering strange new powers and abilities within themselves. The artwork by Becky Cloonan is set up to resemble that of Japanese manga in order to give it that black and white, clean cut look. The first story is about a young girl named Marie, who escapes with her boyfriend from her angry mother into New York City. In order to escape the clutches of the life she's been living, she has to give up the medication for her strange condition that her mother and doctors have been forcing on her for years. When her boyfriend Mike agrees to take her, he doesn't understand the gravity of her condition. The farther they get from home, the worse she gets. When it all comes to a head, Marie ends up flattening a field with her mind, leaving nothing but a crater around her and Mike.

This book ended up being about something completely different than I thought it was going to be. I went in expecting a slice of life story and ended up with another "people with abilities" story instead. I'm not mad, but a little disappointed in the subject matter. Everyone knows I love my super power stories, but I love slice of life just as much. Brian Wood is known for being great at writing both, so I'm going to stick with this one until I finish it. I'm very excited to get my hands on his comics The New York Four and it's current running sequel The New York Five, but this will do until I can snag them.

No comments:

Post a Comment