Sunday, February 6, 2011

Batman: Hush - Review

A New Villain Takes Center Stage




I thought I had read just about every great Batman story that had ever been written . . . I was completely WRONG. I had heard about the character Hush amongst some of my other Batman-loving friends, but never really took the time to read the story. When I got a new comic book viewing program on my computer (Comic Book Lover), I decided to test it out with the complete Batman: Hush series. Written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by the legendary Jim Lee, this 12 issue story is a tour-de-force of comic book storytelling. The story revolves around a mysterious new threat who seems to be playing every villain against Batman and Bruce Wayne as pawns in a grand scheme to gain revenge. Batman is pushed to his limits, reaching his breaking point multiple times in the story. There are so many cameos by heroes and villains it feels like a giant event in the DC Universe, and its reception has escalated its importance into one.

I don't want to give too much of the details of the plot, for fear of ruining it, but you really should read this if you like Batman. It's stories like these that make me love different takes on the Dark Knight, and proves that the character is going to have a place in all forms of literature for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment