Monday, January 24, 2011

The Green Hornet (3D) - Review

Best Friends and Crime-Fighters

When my cousin saw me at the movie theater, waiting for a friend to go in and see the new film adaptation of "The Green Hornet," directed by Michel Gondry and starring Seth Rogen and Jay Chou, she assumed I was excited to see it. I'm known amongst my friends and family for being a lover of comic book lore, and even radio-serial characters like the Hornet. I admit, I wasn't excited in the least bit. I had seen the trailers, the ads, and posters, and I just wasn't pumped to see this film.

I was pleasantly surprised and proven wrong.

I'm in no way saying that the film was wonderful, but it was a very fun movie and well executed. Rogen and Chou were better matches for the roles than I had thought, and Gondry's Black Beauty (their car), was, dare I say it, kick-ass. The only big drawback in the movie was the casting of Cameron Diaz, who felt phoned in and useless in the film.

That being said, the stylistic choices had Gondry touches on them, but it would have been cool to see a couple more signature cherries on top of the film. The comedy in the movie was well written, and I think that it was good that they didn't take themselves too seriously.

My favorite moment has to be when they first rollout in the Black Beauty with intention of being crime-fighters (posing as crime lords if you don't know their gimmick). There's a very "my best friend and I just became superheroes" feel to it that makes you think you'd do the same if you were on your way out to fight crime.

Overall I'd give it a "B," and recommend it if you just want a fun movie to watch.

Side Note:

This was the first movie I've seen since the new 3D craze. I had not seen a 3D movie, nor was I planning on it. My verdict on that is that it's a fun gimmick for about ten minutes, but you don't even have the choice of taking the glasses off and watching it in it's normal form. I hope this fad doesn't last too much longer.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree - while it wasn't the best film of its kind, it was enjoyable and I felt Rogen and Chou played off each other in a very entertaining way.

    I'm kind of against the new 3D craze myself, since more often than not it's an excuse to charge more for viewers to get a brief few scenes of eye-candy, but I did find TRON: Legacy to be well worth the extra money to see it in 3D, since about 80% of it was specifically made for 3D.

    ReplyDelete