Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Batman: The Return - Review

The Dark Knight is back from the Dead


I haven't been keeping up with American comics for a little while, so I went down to my local comic book shop, Lang's in Muskegon, MI, and picked up a few books. One of them was Grant Morrison's "Batman: The Return," which marks the return of Bruce Wayne since his death in the Final Crisis series.

Yep, for those who don't read comics but still go to comic book movies, Batman died last year. Didn't make as big of a splash as Superman did when he died, but still, there it was.

I'm about to subject myself to some ridicule right now, and feel free to scream at me, but this is how I honestly feel. After reading this one shot issue, setting up the events of Batman and all of his cohorts, I honestly wish they had kept him dead.

This issue is one of the many that will start the "Batman Incorporated" series of books. What's that you ask? Basically, after Batman has come back from the dead, he decides that there now has to be a Batman in every country. And he won't even be Batman in Gotham anymore. He's leaving former and original Robin, Dick Grayson, to take over as Batman there.

What the hell, man?!

After reading the script from the issue I can see that they're taking quite a bit from Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns," where Batman eventually had an army of guys to back him up. But that was when he was too old to do it by himself, and the whole world had gone to hell. Now he just wants people to basically do his job for him.

The problem with American comic books is that they don't know how to let a story just end. Instead of having one tight long narrative with a solid ending, they have to drag out a story line forever.

I love Batman. I love Batman to death. And I know that this is just a phase that isn't going to stick. But I don't think it's a very good one. Hopefully "Detective Comics" will stick with the original plot line, because that series has always given good old fashioned Batman stories with new takes by various writers and artists.

To give them some credit, at least they're trying to take the character in a new direction. I just think it's a horrible one. Surprise, surprise, the rich crime fighter turns his persona into a brand. Does anyone else think that this is a little Watchmen-esque?

Also, he apparently wants a thousand robots to become robotic Batmen too.

Bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment