Friday, December 31, 2010

7 Billion Needles Vol. One - Review

We're The Haystack


Adapted from Hal Clement's famous science fiction novel, "Needle," "7 Billion Needles" is a manga re-telling of the story of symbiotic hosts in a battle to stop the next mass extinction of Earth. After a young girl named Hikaru is taken over by an intelligent alien being named Horizon, she is charged with hunting down another creature that exists purely to kill, maim, an eat everything on the planet. Even though she has become endowed with superpowers, Hikaru still can't stand up to the challenge, due to her chronic social withdrawal from her peers.

This is the first volume in a set of four, and though I haven't read the novel, I did some research to distinguish the differences so far in the basic story. The original story, "Needle," is the same premise but with a young boy as the protagonist and New England as the backdrop of the story. From what I can gather, this doesn't take too much of the overall impact of the story away from the text, though I'd like to read the original novel to compare the two.

I just read the whole first volume in one sitting, which, as I've said many times before, is always a good sign. I'm eager to read the second volume and review it, but right now my obvious answer is that this is really fun science-fiction. It's a story about being asked to do something difficult in a time when you're already feeling like the world is coming down all around you. The characters are well fleshed out and the art and pacing of the panels is top notch.

I haven't seen it at any libraries, but it's easily found at Barnes & Noble as well as Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment